As we close out 2019, you are likely reflecting on all of the goals you set for yourself this same time last year. Ideally, you were able to cross off all the goals on your list — but, if we are being honest with ourselves, this is not usually the case. More commonly, we are able to successfully achieve a few goals on our list. Yet, there are some years when we frustratingly find ourselves short of hitting any goals at all.

If you have found yourself in this situation, do not worry, you are not alone. In fact, around 92 percent who set goals for themselves every year rarely achieve them. So, what do the other 8 percent do differently? Below are five reasons why you might not have achieved the goals you set for yourself this year.

1. You expect immediate results

When you think about it, a year is a long time. Yet, at the beginning of every year, we become anxious to achieve the big goals we have just set for ourselves almost immediately. “Go big or go home” may apply in certain instances, but not when it comes to achieving your goals. Instead, start small and gradually introduce changes into your routine. Patience is key here.

2. You did not surround yourself with a support system

The most successful people never get to where they are alone. As a business owner, you know your company is only as good as your employees. Just as you have a professional support system, having a personal support system is how you push yourself out of your comfort zone and make tangible changes in your life. 

3. You did not change course when necessary

The goals that you set for yourself at the beginning of the year might not be relevant as the year goes on. For example, one of your goals may have been to be promoted, but if something happened at your company that made you question your tenure there, the promotion would not be the best option to pursue. There is nothing wrong with changing course when you realize a goal is no longer relevant to your growth. Otherwise, you are just going to have a list of unchecked goals at the end of the year.

4. You procrastinated

“I will do it later” is one of the most dangerous phrases we can use. It is tempting to think you have time on your side when you have 365 days to get something done, but that time will always go by quicker than you anticipated. Start as soon as possible because your time is valuable.

5. You did not anticipate setbacks

Life never goes exactly how we imagine it will. People who plan for inevitable setbacks are actually more likely to achieve their goals because they are able to plan out strategies for overcoming these hurdles in advance. 

Be flexible in pursuit of your goals. While achieving your goals is an incredible feeling, it is also important not to feel defeated by them. Remember, these are just opportunities for your growth, but it does not mean you are a failure if you did not do everything you hoped to do. Instead, keep these strategies in mind as you begin to prepare for your 2020 goals!